fail on regression test

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: fail on regression test
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2022 00:42:12 +0900

Hi Arash,

Since the recent update of style/siunitx.el, AUCTeX regression test
began to fail with `LaTeX-count-ampersands-inserted-in-tabular' test in
tests/latex/latex-test.el:
Test LaTeX-count-ampersands-inserted-in-tabular backtrace:
  signal(ert-test-failed (((should (string= (with-temp-buffer (insert-
  ert-fail(((should (string= (with-temp-buffer (insert-file-contents t

Could you take care of it? It seems that the following hunk in the
commit 2e26d492d16b138c864ffcbbdc5d2ddee25de030 is the origin of the
fail:
+   ;; `siunitx.sty' add new column specification letter 'S'
    (set (make-local-variable 'LaTeX-array-column-letters)
-        (concat LaTeX-array-column-letters "s" "S"))
+        (concat LaTeX-array-column-letters "S"))

This hunk removes "s" and leaves only "S", whereas
tests/latex/tabular-count-ampersands-in.tex has the following unit:
siunitx:
\begin{tabular}{%
  S[table-number-alignment = center]
  s[table-number-alignment = left]
  S[table-number-alignment = right]
  }
  1 & 2 & 3 & LaTeX-insert-item
\end{tabular}

And I'm wondering whether this update to siunitx.el is a bit too
agressive. Although I haven't looked into the detail, this update drops
support for siunitx.sty before v3, doesn't it? If so, AUCTeX users who
don't update TeX Live installation frequently are left behind with
incomplete support from the latest AUCTeX. I think siunitx.el should
support both v2 and v3 of siunitx.sty, if possible. Is that difficult?

Regards,
Ikumi Keita