Atril and D-BUS

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Atril and D-BUS
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 01:46:39 +0900

Hi Tassilo,

I have a minor problem with atril working on D-BUS. I have
 '(TeX-view-program-selection
   '(((output-dvi has-no-display-manager)
      "dvi2tty")
     ((output-dvi style-pstricks)
      "dvips and gv")
     (output-dvi "xdvi")
     (output-pdf "Atril")
     (output-html "xdg-open")))
in my (custom-set-variables ...) and I don't enable source correlate
minor mode. AUCTeX suggests `TeX-atril-sync-view' as default when I run
"View" command at C-c C-c. Whereas my atril opens the pdf file
successfully when I accept that default, emacs complains as follows:
dbus-call-method: D-Bus error: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod",
"Method SyncView is not implemented on interface org.mate.atril.Window"
This is a bit annoying because I type C-c C-a many times when I write my
documents and emacs glitches for a couple of seconds every time with the
above error. (It isn't an option for me to type C-c C-c instead of C-c
C-a because I use Japanese latex, which requires dvipdfmx run to update
pdf.)

I'm using the atril provided by FreeBSD official binary packages. It is
built with --disable-synctex configure option, so I suppose it doesn't
support forward search.

I suspect that the `(TeX-evince-dbus-p de app :forward)' check in
`TeX-view-program-select-evince' isn't working as expected. If I
understand correctly, it should return nil since my atril doesn't
support forward search. However, it returns t for me. I'd appreciate if
you could take a look.

Best,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine

P.S. As far as I can see, `TeX-evince-dbus-p' checks the ability of
forward search by
(dbus-introspect-get-method
                          :session (format "org.%s.%s.Daemon" de app)
                          (format "/org/%s/%s/Daemon" de app)
                          (format "org.%s.%s.Daemon" de app)
                          "FindDocument")
. I don't understand the detail of this form, but shouldn't this
"FindDocument" be something different, most probably "SyncView", looking
at `TeX-evince-sync-view-1'?