Re: Patch for possible bug in TeX-find-macro-end-helper

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: Patch for possible bug in TeX-find-macro-end-helper
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2023 16:24:40 +0100

Hi Keita,

Ikumi Keita <ikumi@ikumi.que.jp> writes:

> I'd like to apply the attached fix for this issue. If no objection, I'll
> install it with some regression tests.

Thanks for your patch and sorry for my late response, which is not about
the patch which LGTM.

>> (2) There are customize options slightly related to the current topic,
>> namely `texmathp-allow-detached-args' and
>> `reftex-allow-detached-macro-args'. They both default to nil, so maybe
>> we should introduce a new customize option to do similar fine-control
>> over the behavior of `TeX-find-macro-boundaries' and
>> `TeX-find-macro-end-helper'.

I'm not sure if having a new custom option would help us; and reading
the section "2.6 Spacing and optional arguments" in usrguide.pdf tells
me that we can't get it right with the heuristics we're using.

>> (3) There are two packages related to the current topic:
>> The document of amsmath tells, with respect to \\[<dimension>] inside
>> display math environment, that
>> ,----
>> | Do not type a space between the \\ and the following [; only for display
>> | environments defined by amsmath the space is interpreted to mean that
>> | the bracketed material is part of the document content.
>> `----
>>[...]
>>
>> Thus if we are to be very strict, AUCTeX shouldn't consider separated
>> brackets as optional arguments for these cases. (I'm not sure whether
>> it's worth discriminating such strictly.)

Maybe we could handle control symbols differently in terms of: If there
is a bracket after the control symbol, take it as an optional argument,
otherwise not at all.  And we should really consider if that's worth the
effort.

Best, Arash