Re: [AUCTeX] Install report: Emacs and Windows 98

From: Harald von Aschen
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Install report: Emacs and Windows 98
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 12:24:24 +0200

At 17:13 29.07.05 +0200, Ralf Angeli wrote:
* Harald von Aschen (2005-07-28) writes:

Hi Ralf!

Sorry for not writing earlier. I was in Holidays for one week.

> GS="F:/Programme/gs/gs8.13/bin/gswin32c.exe" ./configure --prefix=g:/tst/emac
> s-21.3 --with-texmf-dir=f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf
> checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
> checking for date in ChangeLog... 2005-07-21
> checking for release in ChangeLog... not found, using 2005-07-21 instead
> checking for emacs... /f/PROGRAMME/CYGWIN/BIN/emacs
> checking if /f/PROGRAMME/CYGWIN/BIN/emacs is XEmacs... no
> checking for Emacs prefix... cat: ./conftest-1648743: No such file or directory

The shell finds an Emacs in a Cygwin path.  This looks a bit messed
up.  Can you make sure that the MSYS/MinGW and Cygwin stuff
(executables, libs, etc.) don't mix?  Maybe this will help already.
If it doesn't, please send the file config.log which you should find
in AUCTeX's build directory.  (Zip it before sending.)

Argh, no good, my fault. This should have been deleted in my $path, I'm really sorry.

Again. Now with the snapshot auctex-20050806-a.

In Mingw I have to set the path-variable to my needs, this is GhostScript, TeXLive and the rest who has aready been in path:

$ PATH=".:/usr/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin: \
/c/WINDOWS:/c/WINDOWS/COMMAND: \
/f/PROGRAMME/GS/GS8.13/BIN: \
/f/PROGRAMME/TEXLIVE/BIN/WIN32"

$ export PATH

After that the installation runs through without any problems and with

$ ./configure --prefix=g:/tst/emacs-21.3 \
--with-texmf-dir=f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf

and then make and then make install. Perhaps this could be a hint in the installation guide for Windows users?

Do you still need my config.log file?

> Again I have some problems with Emacs and I suppose that they are the same:
> After doing some work menues are not working any more, no command is
> executed. The keyboard shortcuts are still working but nothing else. Close
> Emacs -> open Emacs -> same problem. Close Emacs -> restart Computer ->
> Open Emacs and all is fine. Yesterday I had the problem that AUCTeX was
> using the view command only with dvips && gsview and not with my dvi
> viewer. I don't know why, closing Emacs -> opening again, nothing has
> changed in my .emacs and no solution. Only after a System restart AUCTeX
> was again using windvi.

I would not be surprised if this was a result of MinGW and Cygwin
stuff being mixed.

Hm, sorry here, my working installation has been done with the correct path and sometimes this problems appear. Please allow me some more weeks to look into this and hopefully find out more.

Best regards

Harald