Re: [AUCTeX] Install report: Emacs and Windows 98

From: Harald von Aschen
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Install report: Emacs and Windows 98
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:19:33 +0200

At 11:08 10.08.05 +0200, Ralf Angeli wrote:
* Harald von Aschen (2005-08-09) writes:

> In Mingw I have to set the path-variable to my needs, this is GhostScript,
> TeXLive and the rest who has aready been in path:

[...]

> Perhaps this could be a hint in the
> installation guide for Windows users?

You mean setting $PATH?  I think this can be mentioned in the
installation instructions.  But users should rather set the permanent,
system-wide variable than doing this temporarily in the shell used for
the installation.  In the end, many of the programs in $PATH are
supposed to be found after the installation as well.  And many may not
have variables associated with them which hold the path to the
executable.

Here Ghostscript hasn't set up $path. E.g. the command line tool epstopdf for converting eps files to pdf who uses gswin32c.exe is nevertheless working.

And thank you very much, Ralf, for your great help!

Best regards

Harald