Re: [AUCTeX] Filling paragraphs with display math

From: Yevgeniy Makarov
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Filling paragraphs with display math
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 17:25:45 -0500

> What version of AUCTeX are you using?  I cannot reproduce this with a
> CVS version and a CVS Emacs.

I'm using AUCTeX version 11.53.

> Anyway, there is an easy way to get rid of the problem: Don't use $$
> for display math in LaTeX.  It is a plain TeX command which may lead
> to inconsistent spacing in LaTeX.  Better use \[...\] or
> \begin{displaymath}...\end{displaymath}.  See also
> <CTAN:info/l2tabu/english/l2tabuen.pdf>.

Interesting, I knew about \[ and \] but never took them seriously. But
now I noticed that "The LaTeX Companion" (2nd edition) does not even
have $$ in the index. OK, I'll use brackets then. The only thing is
that Emacs highlights ] in \] as a non-matching bracket...

Thanks,

Yevgeniy