Re: [AUCTeX] $ in embedded environments (\framebox and \minipage) in mat

From: Harald von Aschen
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] $ in embedded environments (\framebox and \minipage) in math
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 17:41:25 +0200

At 13:39 17.09.05 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
Harald von Aschen <address@hidden> writes:

> At 12:36 17.09.05 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>>Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Thanks, I changed texmathp.el accordingly in CVS.
>>
>>I actually don't want to know just what a minipage or framebox should
>>be doing in math made...
>
> Please see for example Gilbarg/Trudinger "Elliptic Partial
> Differential Equations" or Cioranescu/Saint Jean Paulin
> "Homogenization of Reticulated Structures", pg. 13, both Springer,
> where assumptions are enumerated and then given an equation
> number.

A parbox should be sufficient for that.  A minipage is something that
can also have footnotes.

This gives errors in LaTeX (with AMS-Packages loaded)
\begin{equation}
  \label{eq:2.1}
  \left.\begin{parbox}{0.75\linewidth}
    \begin{enumerate}
    \item $T$ is a smooth open set with a $C^2$ boundary.
    \item $Y^*$ is locally on one side of $\pd T$ and\\
      $\pd T$ is a union of a finite number of segments if $n=2$\\
      or $\pd T$ is a union of a finite number of plane faces if $n >
      2$.
    \end{enumerate}
  \end{parbox}\right\}
\end{equation}

This is working fine:
\begin{equation}
  \label{eq:2.1}
  \left.\begin{minipage}{0.75\linewidth}
    \begin{enumerate}
    \item $T$ is a smooth open set with a $C^2$ boundary.
    \item $Y^*$ is locally on one side of $\pd T$ and\\
      $\pd T$ is a union of a finite number of segments if $n=2$\\
      or $\pd T$ is a union of a finite number of plane faces if $n >
      2$.
    \end{enumerate}
  \end{minipage}\right\}
\end{equation}

(and \pd defined with \partial).

> Instead of a framebox I can certainly use a fbox but not under all
> circumstances. (Yes, boxed equations look horrible, sorry for that but
> I've used it for a presentation.)

Why don't you use \boxed?

Thank you very much for the hint using \boxed instead of \fbox in math mode!

(But please take into account that, if needed, one can parse width and position to a framebox when needed.)

Best regards

Harald