Re: [AUCTeX] local installation of auctex.

From: Masayuki Ataka
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] local installation of auctex.
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 02:06:05 +0900 (JST)

From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:55:00 +0200

> "B... H..." <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > probably a stupid question, but I couldn't find a FAQ
> > answering it. I try to instll AUCTEX locally, that
> > means without root permissions. So I ran configure
> > with
> >
> > --prefix=$HOME/.lisp/ --with-emacs=/usr/bin/emacs
> >
> > No probem. I ran make, no problem. But
> >
> > make lispdir=$HOME/elisp install
> >
> > as written in the installation guide
>
> _WHAT_ installation guide?  None of ours.
>
> > ends up with a mes since the configure tries to make a directory in
> >
> > /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex
> >
> > which is not allowed of course. What is the voodoo
> > word to solve the problem?

Even I don't know where he have found his installation guide,
it is certain that lispdir in Makefile remains
  /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex
even if we set --prefix=$HOME.

--with-lispdir=$HOME/share/emacs/site-lisp is needed to
install *.el files for local installation.
Our installation guide does not say that in
`Installation for non-privileged users' section.

Why --prefix does not change lispdir?
# If we have already discussed this, forgive me,
# but then we should write the reason in our documentaiton.

regards,
---
email: address@hidden
Name:: Masayuki Ataka // (Japan)