[AUCTeX] TEXINPUTS

From: Jobst Hoffmann
Subject: [AUCTeX] TEXINPUTS
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:10:34 +0100

I want to go back to a discussion between David and Akim Demaille about
defining TEXINPUTS as a file variable. I've tried now David's proposal,
but it doesn't work for me

%%% Local Variables:
%%% LaTeX-command: "TEXINPUTS=\"../common:$TEXINPUTS\" latex"

Not tried this, but it might work.  Probably not in PDF mode, though.

%%% LaTeX-command: "x=pdf TEXINPUTS=\"../common:$TEXINPUTS\" ${pdfx}latex"

could work for both PDF as well as DVI mode.

My situation is the following: my document and its chapters (to be included by
\includeare stored in a directory
doc, the figures are stored in several directories below the directory figures,
the
figures are often distinguished by the directory's name, not by their file name
(they
present the same thing under different circumstances). In a sketch the
situation is
as follows:

                           project

                     +--------+---------+
                     |                  |
                    doc              figures
                     |                  |
     +----------+----+----+        +----+----+
     |          |         |        |         |
  main.tex     a.tex     b.tex     a         b
                                   |         |
                               +---+---+   +-+-------+
                               |       |   |         |
                            fig.1  fig.2  fig.1     fig.2

A little script defines the files to be included and the searchpath.

Now my question: what should I do to get the same result from within auctex. I
want to
(La)TeX a buffer or a region and the TEXINPUTS variable should be set adequately

I've added a small example to clear the situation a little bit more.

Many thanks in advance and kind regards
Jobst
--
Prof. Dr. Jobst Hoffmann            Tel:   (0049)-2461-99-3159
Fachhochschule Aachen Abt. Jülich   Fax:   (0049)-2461-99-3189