Re: [AUCTeX] word-search-* and re-search-* does not work with folding

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] word-search-* and re-search-* does not work with folding
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 23:44:04 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2006-09-10) writes:
>
>> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Anyway, it's obvious now that the isearch commands invoked via
>>> `C-M-s RET' or `C-s RET C-w' are not equivalent to the similarly
>>> looking `re-search-forward' and `word-search-forward' commands.
>>
>> Hm, yes.  I searched myself silly to see where preview-latex opens up
>> overlays when doing isearch.
>>
>> It does not use search-invisible at all.  Oops.  It used to do this at
>> some point of time.
>
> TeX Fold mode uses it, but this does not make a difference with
> respect to non-incremental search commands.
>
>> After ruling out the possibility that preview-latex does this by
>> magic now, I finally figured that it depends on the setting of
>>
>>     disable-point-adjustment is a variable defined in `C source code'.
>>     Its value is nil
> [...]
>> Interactive^W Incremental searches set this variable, and it seems
>> like C-s RET does not reset it.
>>
>> preview-latex will open overlays rather than skipping them if
>> `disable-point-adjustment' is set.
>
> As I wrote before I consider this a feature.

What makes you think I don't?  I implemented this, after all.

I fail to get your point.

Anyway, it would seem like preview-latex behaves identical to Emacs
outlines and similar with regard to opening the target of search in
either incremental and non-incremental searches.

Indeed, if you use hide-leaves in a buffer, you'll find that exactly
the same behavior happens: C-s RET will open the overlay at the point
where the search ends, M-x search-forward RET won't.

So I think that the correct fix in the case of Emacs would be to let
search commands in general set `disable-point-adjustment'.

Though this does not seem to have an effect on outline-mode which
appears to work using isearch-invisible.  Sigh.

I still think that disable-point-adjustment seems appropriate for
search commands in general.