Re: [AUCTeX] Preview of non-math macros

From: Christian Stork
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Preview of non-math macros
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 00:21:13 +0100

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 10:46:02PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> > \newcommand{\xyz}[N]{\ensuremath{....}}

> >> Not really.  How should \ensuremath figure out just where its
> >> caller chose to have an argument and where not?

> > "Just" compile it as $\xyz...$.

> Uh, you are confused.  preview-latex does not change the source text
> at all.

Should have been more precise:  Meant to say that it generates
appropriate \PreviewMacro's.

> It does not "compile" anything.  It just loads preview.sty
> and the customizations, then runs the unmodified source code through
> LaTeX.

Ah, true.  So I guess we could either hack \newcommand to generate the
\PreviewMacro's or, perhaps more realistically, write a little script
that adds \PreviewMacro's for macros with \ensuremath body to the
local prauctex.cfg.  :-)

--
Chris Stork   <>  Support eff.org!  <>   http://www.ics.uci.edu/~cstork/
OpenPGP fingerprint:  B08B 602C C806 C492 D069  021E 41F3 8C8D 50F9 CA2F