[AUCTeX] TeX-output-view-style syntax question

From: Ralph Hendriks
Subject: [AUCTeX] TeX-output-view-style syntax question
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 11:46:42 +0100

Hi all,

I recently switched to Mac and want to continue using AUCTeX (in AquamacsEmacs, and using gwTeX). I am making use of pstricks, so I need to go for the LaTeX + dvips + ps2pdf option.

I am trying to customize TeX-output-view-style, so that when I issue a view command the following sequence of events is executed:
dvips -Ppdf -G0 example.dvi
ps2pdf example.ps
open example.pdf

However, I find the syntax of TeX-output-view-style somewhat confusing, especially with regard to the filename placeholders. I saw in some examples on the web %o, %f, %dS, etc. Is there some manual what these placeholders mean? Is this AUCTeX-specific, or global to emacs? I need a placeholder for the filename without extension. How do I do that?

The straightforward approach
dvips -Ppdf -G0 %o && ps2pds %o.ps && open %o.pdf
doesn't work well, because it obviously results in
dvips -Ppdf -G0 example.dvi && ps2pds example.dvi.ps && open example.dvi.pdf

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers,
Ralph