Re: [AUCTeX] debugging of multifile documents with TeX-next-error (2)

From: Stefan Vollmar
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] debugging of multifile documents with TeX-next-error (2)
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 21:28:46 +0200

Dear Ralf,

thanks for the fast reply.

If you progress like this we might be able to give you the yellow belt
in bug reporting soon. (c:

Appreciate.

I could reproduce the problem with your log file. In the log file there
is the following text:

! pdfTeX warning (ext4): destination with the same identifier (name {page.1}) ha
s been already used, duplicate ignored
<to be read again>
                   \penalty
l.5 \include{vhist_toc}
                        [1] (./vhist_intro.tex
! Undefined control sequence.
l.14 \rwar
          {this-is-an-undefined-macro-into}
) [2] (./vhist_spec0.tex

When searching for the first error, the parser finds the warning
starting with "!" and then tries to get line number and context. In the
context the line with "[1] (./vhist_intro.tex" is included.
(Cf. contents of the *TeX help* buffer.) So when searching for the next error, this line, indicating the file where the error is located, is not included anymore and after the error in the next line starting with "!"
is found, this information is missing.  That's why the wrong file is
displayed.

I got (temporarily) rid of the first pdfTeX warning by commenting out the title page of our document - we do not really need that during debugging. Then - yippieh - stepping through the errors with TeX-next- error works "as advertised" - thanks a lot.

However, here is another (potentially similar) problem: when I turn on debugging for warnings

TeX-toggle-debug-warnings     C-c C-t C-w

(how can I turn this on permanently in my .emacs file?)

stepping with TeX-next-error works initially but then stops with

ERROR: ** LaTeX

--- TeX said ---
LaTeX Warning: Reference `sec:sections' on page 2 undefined on input line 4.

--- HELP ---
No help available

and no further warnings or errors are displayed. I have attached the log file, this time from the Aquamax session.

In my case (pdfTeXk, Version
3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)) the pdfTeX warning does not start with an
exclamation mark.

Is this a special version? I am surprised to find that both "default" installation on Linux (Fedora Core 6) and MacOS X exhibit the same problem, i.e. have unsuitable latex versions.

Many thanks in advance,
 Stefan
--
Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.
Max-Planck-Institut für neurologische Forschung