Re: [AUCTeX] Question on texmf.cnf ...

From: Ivan Andrus
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Question on texmf.cnf ...
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 17:02:18 -0600

On Sep 16, 2014, at 1:54 AM, Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Ivan,

On Sep 15, 2014, at 12:18 PM, Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Dieter,

<address@hidden>:
Dear listmembers,
I have been using auctex for many years now, however, this time I stumbled
across an issue you (might ...) be able to give me an answer to.

I suffered from error messages like

"Error after last TeX File closed"

no usual information about the actual error. So, after some googling, I
modified texmf.cnf from

file_line_error_style = f
file_line_error_style = t

and the problem was gone. But, what is the impact of this measure, and, even
more, does changing this for a well functioning auctex in turn prevents other
programs from doing what I would expect them to do?

I don't think this will affect other programs, but if you don't want
to edit `texmf.cfn' you can call latex with file line error style only
within AUCTeX by adding the following code to your init file:

 (setq LaTeX-command-style '(("" "%(PDF)%(latex) -file-line-error
%S%(PDFout)")))

Sorry if the previous line will be hard-wrapped.  In other words, you
have to add "-file-line-error" after the "%(latex)" expander.  Note
that the default value of LaTeX-command-style may change in future
versions of AUCTeX.  See also
http://tex.stackexchange.com/a/124259/31416

Could we just make -file-line-error the default?  It seems like it would make
so many people happy.  :)

I also think that this would be a good idea, however it has been
reported MiKTeX's latex gives a less informative log when called with
the file line error style, see
http://sourceforge.net/p/miktex/bugs/2310/, so for MiKTeX users this
could be a drawback.

That’s extremely unfortunate.  Maybe it could just be made into a “mode” like correlate
 source is right now.  Then it would at least be easier to turn on.

-Ivan