Re: [AUCTeX] just wondering ...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] just wondering ...
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 11:36:44 +0100

"Dr. Ing. Dieter Jurzitza" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi folks,
> tha patch had been proposed by Michal Sojka on December, 14, 2012. Ralf
> Angeli
> replied to the suggestion, saying the patch was kind of crude - well, I could
> upload the patch again, but according to my understanding of your comment
> this
> does not seem to be the point here.
>
> Should I try to get in touch with the author and ask him whether or
> not he would copyright it to the FSF, I am simply missing the
> appropriate understanding? Would it be enough to have a kind of
> written statement that he does not care about the ownership of the
> code?

No.  I don't have the history of the patch on my radar, but before
talking about copyright it would make sense to check what it would take
to bring the patch to a state where it's acceptable from a technical
point of view.  If that looks like the necessary pieces will come
together, then one has to check whether the involved parties are willing
to assign copyright to their work to the FSF.  This is done with a
standard procedure requiring the signing of a contract by the FSF
copyright clerk and the one assigning his copyright.

Again: I don't know the history of the patch and what was discussed in
detail and what not.

--
David Kastrup