Re: [AUCTeX] LaTeX-fill-break-at-separators (11.88.9)

From: jfbu
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] LaTeX-fill-break-at-separators (11.88.9)
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 09:41:01 +0100

Hi Mosè

Le 03/12/2015 00:32, Mosè Giordano a écrit :
Hi Jean-François,

Le 30 nov. 2015 à 16:55, Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> a écrit :

    State : CHANGED outside Customize.

Usually you have this state for a variable set(q) manually in the init
file.  Is this your case?

no, I don't.

actually there is (forgetting my earlier big confusion) nevertheless
something strange.

I use the customize buffer. I click on State to add a comment,
then Apply and Save. I quit Emacs.

On relaunch I check the custom.el and it contains

  '(LaTeX-fill-break-at-separators nil nil nil "Mis sur off le 30/11/2015.")

Then i open a TeX file and check the value of this variable

LaTeX-fill-break-at-separators is a variable defined in `latex.el'.
Its value is nil
Original value was (\\\( \\\[)

ok,

then I go to Customize buffer and I see

Hide Latex Fill Break At Separators:
[ ] Opening Brace
[ ] Closing Brace
[ ] Opening Bracket
[ ] Opening Inline Math Switches
[ ] Closing Inline Math Switches
[ ] Opening Display Math Switch
[ ] Closing Display Math Switch
     State : CHANGED outside Customize.

which does not look right.

UPDATE: this is related to my comment above. Doing all the
steps, but without adding a comment I end up with

Latex Fill Break At Separators:
[ ] Opening Brace
[ ] Closing Brace
[ ] Opening Bracket
[ ] Opening Inline Math Switches
[ ] Closing Inline Math Switches
[ ] Opening Display Math Switch
[ ] Closing Display Math Switch
     State : SAVED and set.

Is this an Emacs bug, and is there some financial reward ;-) ?

I can confirm what you report, and what's most interesting is that it
happens only with AUCTeX variables, in the few tests I did.  I don't
have a clue why it happens, I don't even know if it's a bug, and if
it's in Emacs or in AUCTeX and then who should give you the reward.
BTW, how did you install AUCTeX?  Probably asking help to someone more
experiences with customize would be useful.

I installed AUCTeX via ELPA update.

Here is my configuration:
Emacs  : GNU Emacs 24.5.8 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, Carbon Version 157 AppKit
1265.21)
 of 2015-10-31 on Atago.local
Package: 11.89

current state:
==============
(setq
 AUCTeX-date "2015-11-13"
 window-system 'mac
 LaTeX-version "2e"
 TeX-style-path '("~/.emacs.d/auctex"
                  "/Users/xxx/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.89/style"
                  "/Users/xxx/.emacs.d/auctex/auto"
                  "/Users/xxx/.emacs.d/auctex/style" "auto" "style")

I am not indeed very familiar with Customize and only
noticed the other day this (very useful) possibility
to add "user-comments" to user-customizations.

I had not noticed your observation that the

    CHANGED outside Customize.

did not seem to occur with user-commented non-AUCTeX variables.

However after having thought that I confirmed your observation
I noticed that after quitting and relaunching Emacs, I had
the same issue with for example

    Info-additional-directory-list

after having added a comment to its customization. I had tried
that variable as it is the only capitalized one in my custom.el,
and perhaps indeed this may be relevant because all the non-
capitalized variables I tried have no issue (I tried
 column-number-mode
 ispell-program-name and I see I added a comment in September
2012 : had completely forgotten the comment feature since.
 paren-sexp-mode
 change-major-mode-with-file-name
)

However Buffer-menu-use-header-line has no issue either thus
the capitalized or not is surefly off-the-mark.

For Info-additional-directory-list my customization shows
up as

 '(Info-additional-directory-list (quote ("/sw/share/info")) nil nil "TEST")

in my custom.el. And reloading custom.el does not trigger the issue.
I have to quit and relaunch Emacs.

Best,

Jean-François