Re: [AUCTeX] ConTeXt MkIV Support

From: Tobias Berndt
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] ConTeXt MkIV Support
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 07:09:34 +0000

Hey guys,

please, do not misunderstand me. I have a quite clear idea of what it means to
develop free software. I know, you guys are spending a lot of time and efforts
maintaining such a big thing as Emacs' AucTeX. There are small budgets, you all
having regular jobs and your private lifes and not all the time of the world.
Most of your work has been done unpaid, just for the big goal
itself---providing this wonderful TeX help system for Emacs: AucTeX! And I only
can say: I have been appreciating that for many years, because I am working
with TeX each and every day in my work-life, and I wouldn't know how to do my
job without Emacs/AucTeX: it saves me time, it makes the whole thing as
comfortable as possible and it is always up the date.

Yes, there are alternatives to the holy Emacs/AucTeX couple. But---believe
me---I tried them all! Emacs and I wasn't the closest friends from the first
moment. No! We had a terrible start, Emacs and me (several starts, to be
honest) and the only reason for me to use Stallmans monochrome oldie, in our
colorful, one-click-ahead IT world, is experience in coding TeX. Emacs is ugly,
old, hard to get used to, but simply the most effective tool you can use coding
TeX---period.

>>Not sure if I would bet on "the standard".  TeXworks, TeXstudio to mention
>>two seem to be more popular to me, TeXworks is bundled with TeXlive and that
>>is a plus.

TeXworks, TeXstudio, TeXwhatever are useful TeX environments. But as a
writer/editor you'll miss the editorial power of an editor (hm, looks strange
in English :). What I am trying to say is (and I can see it every day with my
colleagues) TeXworks &c. are excellent in compiling TeX, but poorly in editing
texts---and that's what I do most of the day.

>>I think the question is: how to get others to use Emacs? :-)

Let them use TeX! :)= No, Emacs seems like an anachronism, nowadays. Or better,
it looks like. De facto, it is not. But people to convince to Emacs is hard,
yes. Nevertheless, Emacs has its community. For serious work, it is popular
software.

>>I think you've got me wrong here: I'm not trying to refuse ConTeXt, I'm
>>trying to find a way to make Emacs/AUCTeX support better.  The way I see it,
>>there are no developers around who are willing to improve the situation (for
>>whatever reason).

Here, he is: (Marcin wrote)

>>I'd love to work on AUCTeX support for ConTeXt.  Unfortunately, I have very
>>limited spare time now...  Maybe in a few months or so...

(back to Arash)

>>Let me put it this way: Are you willing to ask the ConTeXt community if there
>>is enough demand to crowdfund ConTeXt MkIV support in AUCTeX?  If there is a
>>demand, we can look after a person who can do the job.

No, I cannot do that because I am not an active member of the ConTeXt community
(do not get me wrong this time: I'm not a ConTeXt fan; I just like/use its
possibilities to do my work). What I can do is: If my company let me, I'll go
to the next ConTeXt Meeting by the end of this month. There is a guy named
Harald König. He is one of the ConTeXt developers, I guess, and he is an Emacs
hacker (and probably good enough in programming LISP). Hence I could ask him to
get in touch with you. And I could ask the whole ConTeXt crowd whether or not
they have interest/ideas to help getting ConTeXt MkIV support into Emacs.

>>Given how many people in the maths community still use LaTeX 2.09, which
>>should have been *dead* for some, I don't know, fifteen years or so - I
>>seriously doubt that they will switch anytime soon.

Since their only real interest in TeX is typesetting math, why they should be
interested in switching to ConTeXt? They don't care about web formats, animated
PDFs, interactive contents, document management, databases, program language
support, METAFUN, clever text tools &c.pp. Just for typesetting math, even I
would stay with LaTeX!

I really understand: Resources of time will be wisely managed within free
software projects. And popularity plays a certain role. But such projects
succeeded not least because of the ravages of time, being up-the-date also with
modern---not that popular yet---alternatives.

Have a nice day, tobber

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Tobias Berndt
Technischer Redakteur

baramundi software AG
Beim Glaspalast 1
86153 Augsburg

address@hidden
www.baramundi.de

Fon: +49 (821) 5 67 08 -  577
Fax: +49 (821) 5 67 08 - 19

Vorstand: Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Uwe Beikirch | Dipl.-Kfm. Karl Scheid
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dipl.-Ing. Univ. (TUM) Norbert Klump
Sitz und Registergericht: Augsburg, HRB-Nr. 2064 | USt-IdNr. DE 210294111