Re: [AUCTeX] wrong encoding for *output* buffer

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] wrong encoding for *output* buffer
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2018 14:29:18 +0900

Hi Werner,

> The only thing which looks strange to me is that, the mode line in the
> `*xxx output* buffer starts with

>  1:**

> (but the UTF-8 contents of the log file as emitted by XeTeX is
> correctly displayed).

In that case, latin-1 is the coding system for saving that buffer and
utf-8 is for decoding the output from external process.  Of several
coding systems, the one for saving the buffer is the most important for
most cases, so usually only that one is displayed in the mode line.

Emacs assigns several coding systems separately according to their
purposes: saving the buffer, decoding the output from process, encoding
the input to process, decoding the keyboard input from text terminal,
encoding the screen output to text terminal...  You can see three of
them in the form like

EEE:**

when you do "emacs -nw" on text terminal.  See the doc string of the
variable `mode-line-mule-info' for detail.

More detailed information about coding systems associated with the
buffer can be displayed via C-h C or M-x describe-coding-system.

Best,
Ikumi Keita