[AUCTeX] Making LaTeX-math-mode insert Unicode characters

From: Frederick Akalin
Subject: [AUCTeX] Making LaTeX-math-mode insert Unicode characters
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 17:41:25 -0800

Hey all,

Would it be possible to make the various LaTeX-math-mode abbreviations insert Unicode characters instead of LaTeX commands? For example, making "` a" insert "α" (the Unicode character for alpha) instead of "\alpha".

I have a gist to modify AUCTeX to do so here: https://gist.github.com/akalin/b524942b0b3776dfd26c45841253ee4a . Of course, it would be great if AUCTeX had built-in support for this, although I'm not quite sure the best way to do so. Perhaps a customizable predicate that controls which abbreviations should insert Unicode characters? ("LaTeX-set-unicode-p" in my gist).

Apologies if this has already been discussed; I searched the archives, but the discussions I found were regarding LaTeX-math-menu-unicode, which only controls whether the menu displays the Unicode characters.

-- Fred