Re: [AUCTeX] [Info-AUCTeX] Loads of warnings and references to free vari

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] [Info-AUCTeX] Loads of warnings and references to free variable sand undefined functions
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 01:11:57 +0900

Hi John,

> Hi folks,
> thank you so much for you amazing work on auctex. I really love the package.

Thanks a lot, but please don't post to address@hidden.  It is
intended for announcement of new release of the package, and not for
asking question or discussion.

To Tassilo: Is it trivially easy to exclude "test" directory from ELPA
release?  The regression test kit is not intended for end users, and it
will reduce a lot of compile warning for ELPA users if it isn't
distributed in ELPA.

> I have a question if you don't mind me asking.

> I'm using use-package to install auctex and upon byte compiling the
> package I receive tons of warnings about reference to free variables
> and undefined functions. For more details have a look at the attached
> log file.

Yes, AUCTeX developers have not been so eager about eliminating byte
compile warnings so far.  Although the warnings were reduced much
recently (thanks Arash!), there still remains tons of them, as you saw.

> One thing that surprises me is that use-package provides :functions
> and :defines in order to define any free variables and functions but
> seem to have no effect here what so ever in my case. Any ideas what I
> might be doing wrong here?

It looks very strange to see `TeX-test-compilation-log' and
`AUCTeX-set-ert-path' in your config file.  They are only related to
regression test kit, meaningful only to developers.  They have only
limited amount to do with the volume of warnings in byte compile.

Some of the warnings are inherent to the design of AUCTeX and its
decision was made long before, at early stage of the development.  It
might break someone's customization to simply remove such warnings.
That's one of the reasons the developers are less aggressive about
eliminating warnings, I think.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita