Re: LaTeX package completion not working properly

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: LaTeX package completion not working properly
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 10:21:54 +0200

Brian Elmegaard <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Brian,

> It also works for LaTeX commands and environments as soon as I have
> entered the package name manually.
> But for \usepackage it does not work.
>
> The only difference I can find is that somehow I have the environment variable
> TEXINPUTS set to the path:
> .;c:/Users/me/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.2.0/latex
> This is used in LaTeX-search-files-type-alist

That should not be needed for packages provided by your LaTeX
distribution.  Those should be found automatically using kpathsea.  What
does

  C-x C-e (TeX-macro-global) RET

return?  For me, on a GNU/Linux box with TeXLive, it returns

  ("/usr/share/texmf/tex/" "/usr/share/texmf/bibtex/bst/"
   "/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/" "/usr/share/texmf-dist/bibtex/bst/")

which are the directories where TeXLive put its packages.

I guess in your case it returns the default value

  ("/usr/share/texmf/tex/" "/usr/share/texmf/bibtex/bst/")

which is not applicable to your installation nor OS.  If that's the
case, it indicates that AUCTeX couldn't call kpsewhich in order to query
your TeX distro's paths.  So make sure that it is on your PATH.

As an example,

  $ kpsewhich -expand-path '$SYSTEXMF'

should return something like

  /var/lib/texmf:/usr/share/texmf:/usr/share/texmf-dist

of course with paths matching your system and TeX installation

HTH,
Tassilo