Re: Convert the svg files to pdf/eps for a project automatically.

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Convert the svg files to pdf/eps for a project automatically.
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 14:51:32 +0800

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 8:57 AM Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 8:39 AM Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I'm not sure if I understand your text above.  For me the case is easy:
> > > If you want to include a svg into your .tex file, you either transform
> > > the svg file into a format which LaTeX understand (e.g. .pdf) in advance
> > > and use \includegraphics to include it (i.e. \includegraphics{pdf-file})
> > > or use the svg package and the command \includesvg
> > > (i.e. \includesvg{svg-file}) which does the transformation on the fly
> > > and in background and includes the file format which is understood by
> > > LaTeX.
> >
> > This is exactly what I want to express. But unlike graphicx package,
> > which support so many graphic file formats, so I also realized another
> > point which may bring some inconveniences: we must keep in mind that
> > which graphic files are supplied with svg format when we're writing
> > the document.
>
> OTOH, considering that svg is not the mainstream graphics file format
> required by major academic journals, so I think the best way to use
> SVG files in LaTeX documents is to pre-convert it to a format that
> LaTeX can understand (for example, PDF) and then include it with
> \includegraphics.
>
> Suppose you use \includesvg in your manuscript and supply the SVG file
> to the publisher, this means that they will do the conversion on the
> fly with their LaTeX typesetting system and additional tool, i.e.,
> inkscape, which, too, would inconvenience publishers.

Based on all above comments, I suggest the following workflow when
using svg graphic file in LaTeX document preparation: once the user
try to include a graphic file which is only available in svg format,
then convert it to pdf/eps automatically.

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
No. 473, Quannan West Street, Xindu District, Xingtai, Hebei province