Re: LaTeX doesn't find the source file

From: Oscar Bruno
Subject: Re: LaTeX doesn't find the source file
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2022 14:09:36 -0800

Hi Ikumi -- thanks for your suggestions.

Well, then please try
runemacs -q -no-site-file --eval "(progn (package-initialize t) (package-activate 'auctex))"
on w32 command prompt. (If I understand correctly, it activates only
auctex among all installed EPLA packages.)
In that emacs session, open an arbitrary LaTeX document. After
confirming that AUCTeX is enabled (in mode line, you'll see "LaTeX/P" as
mode name), type C-c C-c. Does that run successfully or stop with the
same error?

I run

runemacs -q -no-site-file --eval "(progn (package-initialize t) (package-activate 'auctex))"

in the directory C:\tmp, which opened emacs. As you mentioned, the mode line indicates  LaTeX/P as mode name.

I then opened the file test.tex by using C-x C-f and then  c:/tmp/test.tex, which opened the file test.tex.

II then run C-c C-c latex, and I got once again the same error message -- I include it below.

***********
ERROR: I can't find file `test.tex'.

--- TeX said ---
! I can't find file `test.tex'.
--- HELP ---
TeX can't find a file that it needs. If the name of the missing file
has the extension tex, then it is looking for an input file that you
specified---either your main file or another file inserted with an
\input or \include command. If the missing file has the extension sty
, then you have specified a nonexistent document style or style
option.
*********

Would it be possible (if potentially useful) to install an earlier version of Auctex? The "package-list-packages" route only seems to allow the installation of the latest version of auctex (13.1).

On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 10:55 PM Ikumi Keita <ikumi@ikumi.que.jp> wrote:
Hi Oscar,

>> I'm curious whether the latter runs successfully on the command prompt.
>> Can you test it?

> Indeed it does run successfully: here is the command prompt output:

Hmm. It became more mysterious to me...

Well, then please try
runemacs -q -no-site-file --eval "(progn (package-initialize t) (package-activate 'auctex))"
on w32 command prompt. (If I understand correctly, it activates only
auctex among all installed EPLA packages.)
In that emacs session, open an arbitrary LaTeX document. After
confirming that AUCTeX is enabled (in mode line, you'll see "LaTeX/P" as
mode name), type C-c C-c. Does that run successfully or stop with the
same error?

> The emacs binary is w32-native. Below please find the bug-report you
> requested.

Thank you. The result seems just ordinary values, so the origin is
hiding somewhere else...

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine