Re: LaTeX doesn't find the source file

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: LaTeX doesn't find the source file
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 15:22:04 +0900

Hi Oscar,

> I run

> runemacs -q -no-site-file --eval "(progn (package-initialize t)
> (package-activate 'auctex))"

> in the directory C:\tmp, which opened emacs. As you mentioned, the mode
> line indicates  LaTeX/P as mode name.

> I then opened the file test.tex by using C-x C-f and then  c:/tmp/test.tex,
> which opened the file test.tex.

> II then run C-c C-c latex, and I got once again the same error message -- I
> include it below.

> ***********
> ERROR: I can't find file `test.tex'.

Thank you. Then neither your personal config nor other ELPA packages
hinders AUCTeX.

Currently, I have no idea why such error occurs, so all we can do now is
to examine several diagnosises step by step.
0. Use ordinary emacs session below. (The above "minimal" session is no
   longer necessary.)
1. What is the value of `TeX-shell' in the document buffer?
2. What is the value of `process-environment' in the document buffer?
   The result can be quite long and may contain sensitive information.
   Mask the portion which shouldn't be disclosed with "*".
3. In the document buffer, type
ESC : (start-process "dummy" "*output*" TeX-shell TeX-shell-command-option
"set") RET
   Then the values of environment variables under `TeX-shell' will be
   inserted in a buffer named "*output*". Provide us the content of the
   buffer, masking sensitive information in the same manner. (After you
   are done, you can delete "*output*" buffer.)

> Would it be possible (if potentially useful) to install an earlier version
> of Auctex? The "package-list-packages" route only seems to allow the
> installation of the latest version of auctex (13.1).

Did AUCTeX run successfully for you at some point in the past? If so,
going back to earlier version might be relavant more or less. To do so,
download one of the package files from
https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/auctex.html , decompress it and specify
the resultant tar file as the argument for M-x package-install-file RET
.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine