Re: AUCTeX to compile each \include file to a separate file

From: kaykal
Subject: Re: AUCTeX to compile each \include file to a separate file
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 15:45:20 +0000

On 22 Nov 2022, at 12:34, Thibaut Verron wrote:

> Le mar. 22 nov. 2022 à 19:07, kaykal <kaykal@pm.me> a écrit :
>
>> Is there anyway to generate different PDF files for each included file in
>> master file with AUCTeX.
>
>> More specifically, I have one master file called “master”, in which, I have
>> included two chapters: “chapter01” and “chapter02”.  I want AUCTeX (after
>> appropriate number of runs) to generate one PDF for the master file, one PDF
>> for chapter01, one PDF for chapter02 and (the bonus) one PDF for
>> bibliography.
>
>  You can have the pdf for the different chapters by using the selective
> compilation functions: open the file chapter01, and execute
> TeX-command-buffer (C-c C-b) should compile the appropriate chapter.
>
>  The bibliography is more tricky, I don't know if there is a solution.
>
>  Also, numbers and references will be local to the chapter: you will get
> files which are suitable for a quick preview, but concatenating them will not
> be as good as compiling the whole document together.

Thank you Thibaut.  TeX-command-buffer is a very neat solution for when I am
working on these documents individually and want a quick preview.  Thanks for
pointing that out.  But if possible, I am looking to automatically generate
different PDF files (4 in the above example) with one command.

The particular case that I need this is for NIH grant proposals, where they
need individual documents and one big reference file containing all the
references throughout out the proposal.

Kourosh