autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: Request for inclusion [was: Re: Autoconf MPI macros]

From: Rhys Ulerich
Subject: Re: Request for inclusion [was: Re: Autoconf MPI macros]
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 15:48:38 -0500

(Unsure to which list this thread response should be sent due to an
earlier missing cross-post...)

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Olaf Lenz <address@hidden> wrote:
> In principle, the macro is still useful if somebody doesn't want to
> compile *all* his code using the MPI compiler, but only some files.
> However, I have no clear idea why someone would want to do that...
>
> Does anybody here have an application for the old macros?

I do have such a use case.

I build an MPI-based application along with some non-MPI,
application-related utilities.  The two build types are kept in
separate subdirectories with only the MPI-related Makefile.am
containing CXX = @address@hidden

Sometimes HPC platform login nodes have policies disallowing using
mpiexec outside of a batch job.  Some MPI stacks require mpiexec be
used for all MPI-enable binaries.  My use case allows me to run my
non-MPI utilities on such HPC login nodes.

- Rhys