autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: Patches for implementing checking for valid CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, etc.

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: Patches for implementing checking for valid CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, etc.
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 13:09:57 +0200

Hi Maarten,

 > If there were some submission guidelines stating the width of
 > description lines and how to properly mark a macro deprecated, I
 > could have done that before submitting the patches. The current
 > guidelines on the website only seem to cover completely new macro
 > submissions.

yes, you are right. Our procedures aren't documented very well. There is
a file "README-maint" in the Git repository that covers some ground, and
we have fairly good automated QA checks that you can run by calling
"make maintainer-all". Still, the situation is a bit of a mess.

 >> If at all possible, there should be just one macro per m4 file.
 >
 > OK, that sounds reasonable. I'm OK with the current situation though,
 > but if anyone wants to extract the AX_APPEND_* macros to a new file,
 > feel free. Note that the AX_APPEND_{COMPILE,LINK}_FLAGS macros depend
 > on both AX_APPEND_FLAG and the respective AX_CHECK_*_FLAG macros.

Can I ask you a favor? Could you please make that change? Splitting
those macros in separate files is not a mechanical procedure, because
the documentation needs to be adapted as well, etc. If would really be
way easier if you could do that, instead of someone else doing it.

 > About the snippet you added to NEWS: [...] The macro is not called
 > AX_CHECK_FLAG, that is the name of the file that contains
 > AX_CHECK_COMPILE_FLAG and others.

Right, my mistake. Thank you for catching that! I've committed a new
entry in 1eb1f849 that should improve the situation.

Take care,
Peter