autoconf-archive-maintainers

AX_BOOST_SYSTEM fails even though the library exists

From: James Youngman
Subject: AX_BOOST_SYSTEM fails even though the library exists
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 21:40:14 +0000

Hi,

I'm having difficulty using AX_BOOST_SYSTEM.   Even though I have all
the Boost libraries installed, I still get this rather confusing (and
apparently contradictory) message when running configure:

checking whether the Boost::System library is available... yes
configure: error: Could not find a version of the library!

I attach a trivial project using this macro that can be used to
reproduce the problem and the resulting config.log file.   I also
attach a list of Boost files on my system which should demonstrate
that Boost really is installed (the system is Debian; they were
installed with "sudo apt-get install libboost-all-dev".

Thanks for any help.
James.