gnu linker/--no-as-needed?

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: gnu linker/--no-as-needed?
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 06:58:06 +0000

I need configure to tell me if I can use --no-as-needed or --as-needed.

Right now we have been only using these flags if we're using GCC, and
I've got a case (solaris) where gcc is calling the native loader, not
gld.

The docs for LT_PATH_LD say that macro tries to find the path to the
linker used by $CC, and whether it is the GNU linker.  But when I read
the code for LT_PATH_LD it's sure not obvious to me how I can see if
we're using a GNU linker.

Anybody have some suggestions for me?

If it matters, we're using this because we've got a situation where we
need to force linking libgcc_s, as it must be in the executable early
enough; if we drop privileges it's too late to call dlopen().  That's
not entirely accurate, but it's close enough.

--
Harlan Stenn <address@hidden>
http://networktimefoundation.org  - be a member!