Re: Getting AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS output before AC_OUTPUT

From: Rhys Ulerich
Subject: Re: Getting AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS output before AC_OUTPUT
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 12:21:10 -0600

> Is there some way to tell AC_OUTPUT that _AC_OUTPUT_SUBDIRS has
> already been run?  Possibly by redefining it to be empty?

I am trying trickery like just setting 'no_recursion=yes' just before
AC_OUTPUT to suppress the recursion along with some checks to make
sure that subdirs hasn't changed in the meantime...

AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS([sub1])
AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS([sub2])
early_subdirs="$subdirs"
_AC_OUTPUT_SUBDIRS
dnl ...
dnl Arbitrary things
dnl ...
if test "$early_subdirs" != "$subdirs"; then
    AC_MSG_ERROR([Sanity error: "$early_subdirs" became "$subdirs"])
fi
no_recursion=yes
AC_OUTPUT()

On a scale of hideous to grotesque, how bad is this approach?

- Rhys