Re: More an autopackage

From: David Lee
Subject: Re: More an autopackage
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:07:57 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Geoffrey Wossum wrote:

> I want to work on the unified front-end to native packaging systems like I
> posted before, but the bossman doesn't want to wait until that's useable.
> So the autopackage front-end is going to be YASP (yet another side
> project) for me.
>
> Anyway, here's some of my thoughts about it:
> 1) written in Python

Wouldn't Perl5 be a more widely acceptable choice?  Considerably so?
(Indeed, isn't automake already in Perl?  Why choose something different?
Especially when that something is considerably less widely installed?)

> 5) I'm really a software developer, not a packaging guy.  That's why this
> seems like such a good idea.  I want to write code, not mess with
> packaging systems.  But, I really don't know that much about packaging.
> So I'll probably need some help with the packaging details.
>
> 6) When I get going with Actual Code (TM)  (within a couple of weeks),
> I'll setup a project on sourceforge for this.

No promises.  But I could try to have a quick look at Solaris pkgadd/pkgrm
issues once you have got started.