Re: [revised patch 1/1] support AC_SUBST'able automake rules

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: [revised patch 1/1] support AC_SUBST'able automake rules
Date: 09 Feb 2001 00:11:24 -0700

>>>>> "Lars" == Lars J Aas <address@hidden> writes:

Lars> I believe everything should be in order (I believe I filled out
Lars> for Automake and maybe even Libtool when I did it for Autoconf).

Yeah, I found the info.

Lars> Anyways, the patch should be reworked to use a &canonicalize()
Lars> sub as Akim suggested

I agree.

Lars> What I'm really wondering about is whether you accept the
Lars> semantics of the patch; allowing AC_SUBSTS in for instance
Lars> library names...

I understand the need to be able to rename programs and libraries.
I've had other requests for that.

So the question is whether this is how we want to do it.

What are other ways?  One other way would be to support the name as an
attribute of the object:

    bin_PROGRAMS = foo

    foo_SOURCES = ...
    foo_NAME = @what-foo-really-is@

Is this more confusing?  Or less?

Over time I've come to dislike arbitrary @FOO@ substitutions, because
they limit the amount of knowledge automake has about what is going
on.  In this case it might not be so bad.

Tom