Re: Fail: install2.test

From: Stephen Torri
Subject: Re: Fail: install2.test
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:47:25 +0000 (GMT)

No problem. I will move the code into a user directory and work as my
normal user. In regards to install the "questionable" tarball, how do you
handle it? If my /usr/local/bin is owned by root then I cannot install it
as a normal user.

Stephen

On 20 Feb 2001, Akim Demaille wrote:

> Stephen Torri <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > > cp: cannot open `foo' for reading: Permission non accord?e
> >
> > Worked fine. I was able to create "bar". (logged in as root)
>
> This test is precisely trying to check that automake does not perform
> invalid operations, but the user is not expected to be root.
>
> As a general advice, you should not be root when playing with foreign
> (thanks for your trust :) tarballs but when `make install'.
>
> As a specific advice, please, never test again any of the Autotools as
> root, as they are not meant for it, and this produces false alarms.
>
> The conclusion is that Automake is fine on your machine :)

Buyer's Guide for a Operating System:
Don't care to know: Mac
Don't mind knowing but not too much: Windows
Hit me! I can take it!: Linux