Re: 'DATA' is an anachronism

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: 'DATA' is an anachronism
Date: 18 Aug 2001 16:15:06 -0600

>>> Don't do this.  Use AM_CXXFLAGS instead.

>>> Actually, I would remove `-g -O3' entirely, and only use -Wall if
>>> configure detected gcc.

David> When I used AM_CXXFLAGS, I ended up with two sets of "-g
David> -O{2,3}" in the compiler invocation. It seems the -O2 set must
David> be coming from CFLAGS in the environment? What is the
David> interaction between CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS/AM_C(XX)FLAGS?

Both CXXFLAGS and AM_CXXFLAGS are passed to compilations.
(Actually, sometimes AM_CXXFLAGS is not, but that only happens when
using per-exe flags; see the manual.)

configure defaults CXXFLAGS to `-g -O2'.  See the autoconf manual.

Tom