automake 1.5 fails 4 tests on Solaris

From: Lars Hecking
Subject: automake 1.5 fails 4 tests on Solaris
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 19:14:17 +0100

 Platform: Solaris 8/SPARC

 distname.test, subobj5.test and subobj6.test all fail with

make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/automake-1.5/tests'
=== Running test ./distname.test
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/local/bin/install -c
checking for mawk... no
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether  and cc understand -c and -o together... no
checking for gcc... /tmp/automake-1.5/tests/testSubDir/compile
checking whether the C compiler (/tmp/automake-1.5/tests/testSubDir/compile   )
works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.
FAIL: distname.test

 (I'm pretty sure I have a working compiler. Didn't check the compile script
  in detail.)

 yacc7.test fails, too. The reason is that the builtin test in Solaris'
 /bin/sh does not recognise -e. /bin/test OTOH does.