Extending automake syntax

From: Erik Walthinsen
Subject: Extending automake syntax
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 20:18:22 -0700 (PDT)

I'm working on a project where I want to create a new class of vars for
automake, which will include rules which will turn into both generated
source targets, and normal libtool libs.  For example:

lib_SLLIBRARIES = libaverage.sl

libaverage_sl_SOURCES =         \
        average_c.c             \
        average_mmx.c           \
        average_sse.c           \
        average_altivec.c

would turn into something like:

lib_LTLIBRARIES = libaverage.la

libaverage_la_SOURCES =         \
        libaverage_stub.c       \
        average.h

average.h: $(libaverage_la_SOURCES) average.h.proto
        cp average.h.proto average.h            # replace with a script

libaverage_stub.c:
        echo '#define __SL_IN_SPECIALIB' > $@
        echo '#include "config.h"' >> $@
        echo '#include "average.h"' >> $@

clean:
        rm -f libaverage_stub.c average.h

Is it possible to hook into automake itself to accomplish this, or am I
going to have to create a script to be run before automake to parse the
file and rewrite it as appropriate?  I'd rather not have to do that....

TIA,
   Omega

      Erik Walthinsen <address@hidden> - System Administrator
        __