Re: AC_INIT translates PACKAGE to lower case

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: AC_INIT translates PACKAGE to lower case
Date: 01 Feb 2002 14:03:44 +0100

Am Fre, 2002-02-01 um 12.33 schrieb Akim Demaille:

> Ralf> Am Don, 2002-01-31 um 17.27 schrieb Russ Allbery:
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> For the same reason a leading `GNU ' is stripped: because for most
> >> packages this is the way to transform a package name into a tarball
> >> name.
> >>
> >> `GNU Autoconf' => `autoconf'
> Ralf> Hmm, do I really need to like this?
>
> Ralf> IMHO, this is equally bad and error-prone as lowercasing. Why
> Ralf> not letting program authors/maintain decide upon this?
>
> What the heck is your point?

Would you please read what I wrote under 1) in my previous mail.

To summarize, I am saying that
* autoconf's is going beyond it's actual tasks and because of this
interferes/conflicts with automake and gettext wrt. PACKAGE and
PACKAGE_TARNAME.
* lowercasing and stripping of GNU from package name should remain
user's tasks.
* AC_INIT internals and features are at least highly questionable and
should be redesigned.

You are right, the currently implementation does provide the features I
would want, but am not satisfied with the general behavior, which IMO
does more harm than it uses, rsp. is useless in probably 95% of all
cases (packages using lowercased single-word package names).

BTW, I would appreciate the other autoconf and automake maintainers to
speak up, because apparently a reasonable discussion between Akim and me
doesn't seem to be possible anymore.