installing stripped kernel modules

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: installing stripped kernel modules
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 01:28:57 -0400

First, I will say that I have been given a task and I don't fully understand
everything that is going on with it.

As I understand it, the project in question is an embedded application so
production installs must be stripped to conserve space.

The strip options for programs are "too aggressive" for kernel modules.

Some Makefile.am's will install both programs and kernel modules.

What are the choices for altering the strip flags?

It would be ideal if we didn't have to separate programs from modules into
separate Makefile.am's.

This is for automake-1.5, although there's a decent change this issue could
force an upgrade to 1.6.1 if that would help.

I sifted thru the archives for a couple of hours and didn't see much on this
point, although I thought I recalled a discussion about this a few months'
back.