Re: Security vulnerability in automake (understood, agreed)

From: Allan Clark
Subject: Re: Security vulnerability in automake (understood, agreed)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:05:39 -0700

Lawrence;

I see that the key here is that the attacker is a user with local access to a
system (be it by login, security hole in another binary giving shell access as
that binary's user, etc).  The admin merely runs the innocent package, and due
to the attacker's symlinks, causes damage to his own system.

OK, it can then occur more often than a "trojan horse ./configure" like my "rm
-fr /" comment.  Understood, and I agree that it's worth protecting.

Thanks for clarifying.

Allan