Re: weird flags set by configure

From: Eric Siegerman
Subject: Re: weird flags set by configure
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 12:18:55 -0500

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 07:35:11AM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> > Bob>   CFLAGS=-O CXXFLAGS=-O ./configure
> >
> >         ./configure CFLAGS=-O CXXFLAGS=-O
> >
> > is better.
>
> because it then becomes a part of config.status while the reverse isn't
> true.  This is an improvement for the -recheck logic.  Thanks, Akim.

Even better, write a wrapper script:
        #!/bin/sh

        exec configure CFLAGS=-O CXXFLAGS=-O

That, you can check into CVS (without getting into the whole
"should I revision-control generated files?" debate over your
config.status's :-).

If you always give each package's wrapper the same name,
"my-config [or whatever]; make; make install" will quickly become
a habit ... well, fairly quickly; the first couple of wasted
builds are a great inducement to learning :-)

--

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        address@hidden
|  |  /
Just Say No to the "faceless cannonfodder" stereotype.
        - http://www.ainurin.net/ (an Orc site)