Re: weird flags set by configure

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: Re: weird flags set by configure
Date: 06 Nov 2002 11:47:38 +0100

On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 11:11, address@hidden wrote:

> DEFAULT_INCLUDES =  -I. -I$(srcdir) -I.
>
> This raises 2 questions in itself:
>       a. what's wrong with "DEFAULT_INCLUDES =  -I. -I$(srcdir)"

Don't know that,

> or, since
> my project's sources all lie in the root  (as much as I'd have liked it to
> be otherwise :-(..... ) "DEFAULT_INCLUDES =  -I." ?

Because automake is supposed to support building projects outside of
their source directory.  Using -I . -I <srcdir> supports this cleanly
(allowing both generated and 'real' headers to be found).

> How do I get automake to make it so?

Why would you want to?  There's no harm in -I . -I . -I . as far as I
know.

>       b. I have a bunch of headers (also part of my project, but not ALL
> the header files) that are #included using doublequotes, and that I would
> like to seperate to an include/ subdirectory in my project. can I do that
> without touching the #include precompiler directives in the sources
> (without adding "include/") by using -I ? If so, how would that be done?

-I $(srcdir)/include
Note that using "" merely searches '.' first, then searches along the
include path normally.  Once you start relying on the include path, you
should really be using <> instead of quotes for your #include.
For one thing, using "" will cause any header of the same name in the
current dir to be used in preference of one in the include path.

--
Tim Van Holder <address@hidden>
Anubex