Re: Patch to aclocal

From: Philip Willoughby
Subject: Re: Patch to aclocal
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 21:08:10 +0000 (GMT)

Today, Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

>[...]
>
> Philip> Unfortunately I couldn't find an env var to modify the
> Philip> search path for aclocal
>
>There is an envvar called `ACLOCAL'.  It is honored by `autoreconf'
>and the rebuild rules in `Makefile'.
>
>See also http://sources.redhat.com/ml/automake/2003-02/msg00112.html

I can't/won't use that for 2 reasons:

* I expect (and my users expect) that running:

  make COMMANDNAME=string

  will set the path to the command that is the lower case of COMMANDNAME to
  string.  This is for the very good reason that that's how every other
  command is reselected.  See `man 5 environ' on a modern GNU/linux system.

* I don't in general use autoreconf - I have my own script to run
  everything I need to run to regenerate my build system.

I take your point about moving the functionality into autoconf being the
right thing to do, but this doesn't solve my problem right now.  (I haven't
heard any mention of it on address@hidden BTW).

In any case, the problem isn't going to go away, autoconf will also need
some way of finding package-installed macros.  OK, perhaps ACLOCALPATH
isn't the right name for it in that eventuality, but it's got to exist and
it's got to be called something...

Regards,

Philip Willoughby

Systems Programmer, Department of Computing, Imperial College, London, UK
--
echo address@hidden | tr "bizndfohces" "pwgd9ociaku"

Why reinvent the wheel? . . . . . . . . . Because we can make it rounder...