Producing Shared Library from an object created externally !!

From: satish k.chimakurthi
Subject: Producing Shared Library from an object created externally !!
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:21:07 -0400

Hello all,

This is my first mail to the group. Sorry it's a bit long...Please be patient
enough to read thru and help me ... I have been trying for long to fix
this...and it's for the same reason I got into this group expecting good help

The background of my problem is as follows :

For the last few days I have been trying to wrap a C++ library that I have,
to a scripting language called Python using a software wrapping tool called
**SWIG**

I have generated the python wrapper object file using that software and I call
it, say ,  *overture_wrap.o*

I have a "Makefile" in my C++ library which I use to **make** all the example
applications

With g++ compiler installed on my system and the *Makefile* that the vendor
has supplied about which I mentioned above, I am able to run any Example that
is in the software library

Let's say the example application is **gridGenExample.C**....I make the
executable as follows :

$ make gridGenExample

g++ -fPIC  -fpermissive -I/home/world0/OVERTURE/Overture.v19/include  -g
-DINTEL86 -DUSE_MESA -I/home/world0/pwd/A++/install/include
-I/home/world0/MESA/Mesa-5.0.1/include -I/usr/X11R6/include  -DBL_USE_DOUBLE
-DBL_Solaris  -g -o gridGenExample gridGenExample.C
-L/home/world0/OVERTURE/Overture.v19/lib -lOverture -lOverture_static
-lRapsodi -lRapsodi_static
-L/home/world0/pwd/A++/install/lib -lApp -lApp_static   -lnsl -lg2c
-L/home/world0/MESA/Mesa-5.0.1/lib -lGL -lGLU -lOSMesa
-L/home/world0/hdf/lib -lmfhdf -ldf -ljpeg -lz
-L/usr/X11R6/LessTif/Motif1.2/lib -lXm  -lXpm -lXp -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXt
-lXmu -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm

This is how the command line execution goes and I get the executable
*gridGenExample*

This command line tells me how the software libraries are linked to my
*gridGenExample.C  code* to produce a succesful executable

Now,  I am trying to get a shared module out of my python wrapper object
**overture_wrap.o** ( created using SWIG...I MENTIONED INITIALLY) with the
libraries *libOverture.so* and *libRapsodi.so* ( you will see these in the
command line above linked as "-lOverture -lRapsodi"

PLEASE advise me as to how I can produce a shared library module with the help
of my wrapper object **object_wrap.o** ...as per information above in the
command line....I expect that the resultant shared library module,  upon
importing to python acts at my behest

Thanks in advance for your help,

With Best Regards,
SATISH