Calling other external Makefiles and outside Make systems

From: John Ling
Subject: Calling other external Makefiles and outside Make systems
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:04:44 -0800

My project, for which I use Automake, needs to build libraries from projects outside of itself. I tried incorporating this outside project's Makefiles into my own but without success. This is because they define things like CPPFLAGS and top_srcdir in their own Makefiles. If I try to include these into my own Makefile.am it will obviously conflict with what my own project needs. If anyone knows a way around this let me know.

In the meantime, I think the solution is to simply call the Makefile of this other project and let it do the building of these libraries. But, I want to do this call from inside my Makefile.am.

How do I go about specifying this target, in my Makefile.am?

i.e. I want to do something like this:

loader :
       cd $(someotherdir); \
       make -f ./Makefile.loader;

where Makefile.loader is the makefile that is specific to this other project. Where do I add loader as a target?

Finally, if I do get this to work, how are dependencies handled by this system. i.e. if I do a make clean will it clean even those objects built by Makefile.loader?

Thanks,
John Ling