Re: ChangeLogs included in dist

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: ChangeLogs included in dist
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 13:15:32 -0800

Ben Elliston wrote:

> Automake will currently include a file called "ChangeLog" in the
> distribution.  Many large projects use a scheme of appending a number
> to ChangeLogs when the files are rotated.  For example, GCC uses:
>
>   ChangeLog
>   ChangeLog.0
>   ChangeLog.10
>
> Can I suggest that the list of matched files be expanded to include
> ChangeLog.[0-9]+?

Then make it optional, please.  Distributions already get too much bloat.
The distributed tarball ought not have a change log that goes past the
last previous major release.  If someone is interested in more history
than that, well, that is what CVS archives are about.  I'd disable the
extra history for my stuff....