RE: Building the .info files in build directory.

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: RE: Building the .info files in build directory.
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:25:21 +0100

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 15:23, Cook, Kelley (R.K.) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > [Info files being built in source dir]
> >
> > > FWIW, having a read only source directory is our goal.
> >
> > When the source dir is readonly, noone can change the texinfo
> > files. If noone can change the texinfo files, there is no need
> > to rebuild the info files, so it doesn't matter that they're in
> > a readonly directory.
>
> This would work fine for distributions, but it does not apply when the goal
> is to share a CVS directory which only contains the .texi files and NOT
> .info files.
>
> A specific example is GCC, I (and others) spent a significant portion of
> time implementing this oft requested feature of a read-only source tree.
> Numerous OS distributors are running build farms from one directory to
> dozens of different targets to check compatibility.
>
> Upgrading to automake 1.8.2 will break that new feature, unless there is an
> kludge around it.
According to the comments hiding in automake (in sub
handle_texinfo_helper, ca. line 2780 in "automake"  from 1.8.2) this
should be possible by adding the *.info to CLEANFILES.

I know this had not worked with automake-1.8 < 1.8.2, and still doesn't
always work (version.texi and stamp files interfere), but it at least
seems to work occasionally.

Ralf

PS.: <rant> These delays on address@hidden render these list almost
useless. </rant>