Re: distcheck bug

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: distcheck bug
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 02:24:35 +0100

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 05:28:30PM -0500, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> >
> >It seems that LDFLAGS is being passed but not CC and CXX even though those
> >were also specified on the configure command line.  Why aren't all the
> >standard Autoconf variables saved and replayed?
>
> I was wrong.  It seems that the user specified LDFLAGS is not passed
> to configure either.
>
> So now I am testing with
>
> DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS='CC=$(CC)' 'CXX=$(CXX)' 'CPPFLAGS=$(CPPFLAGS)'
> 'LDFLAGS=$(LDFLAGS)'
>
> Unfortunately, these values may be extended or altered by the
> time they are saved in the Makefile.  It will extra configure work to
> preserve the user-provided values.

I habitually do something like this anyway (duplicated for every
variable I mangle in configure):

orig_CFLAGS="$CFLAGS"

[detect some stuff...]

CFLAGS="$foo_CFLAGS $bar_CFLAGS $orig_CFLAGS"

[detect some more stuff...]

CFLAGS="$foo_CFLAGS $bar_CFLAGS $baz_CFLAGS $orig_CFLAGS"

Since that's the only sane way I can come up with to make
'CFLAGS=foo ./configure' work, and still keep a complicated configure.ac
readable. So I'd just AC_SUBST(orig_CFLAGS) and stuff that into
DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS, under the assumption that the configure
script is supposed to sort it out given that input.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |