Bitten by Makefile.am syntax error

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Bitten by Makefile.am syntax error
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 19:38:07 -0500 (CDT)

A number of times I have been bitten by missing backslashes at the end of lines. Automake does not warn. A typical example is:

if !HasX11
TESTS_X11_XFAIL_TESTS =
        tests/rwblob_XWD_bilevel.sh \
        tests/rwblob_XWD_gray.sh \
        tests/rwblob_XWD_pallette.sh \
        tests/rwblob_XWD_truecolor.sh \
        tests/rwfile_XWD_bilevel.sh \
        tests/rwfile_XWD_gray.sh \
        tests/rwfile_XWD_pallette.sh \
        tests/rwfile_XWD_truecolor.sh
endif

Is there a way that Automake can reasonably produce warnings in this case?

Another issue with backslashes that I have encountered is that Automake doesn't like them at the end of comment lines. It will issue a diagnostic for

#  some text \
#  some more text \

It seems to me that the comment should override the line continuation request.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden