Re: compile problem

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: compile problem
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:04:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

Okay.  But for a project built with `make -j', we still need AM_PROG_CC_C_O
and _LT_COMPILER_C_O to understand each others' locks :-(

[...]

 Gary> Meant to ask, why doesn't AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE (conditionally if
 Gary> necessary) simply invoke AM_PROG_CC_C_O?

We know it's needed only after processing the Makefile.am files.

Why not invoke it anyway?

If the compile script is unnecessarily used, then compilation will be even slower. This seems particularly true for the Windows operating system where compilation using libtool already feels like compiling in molasses. It seems that Windows is very slow at executing (fork/exec) new programs.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden