Re: _SOURCES variable, files that are not translation units

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: _SOURCES variable, files that are not translation units
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 09:49:58 +0100

Hello,

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Mike Mattie wrote:
> The _SOURCES variable makes a poor assumption, that the .c files
> listed are translation units. It is permissable though uncommon to
> create .c files that are included into a translation unit to break up
> a source file for organizational purposes.

it is clear that you may not include such .c files in *_SOURCES.

What's wrong then?  I see only one problem: such .c file wouldn't be
distributed.  The most natural way to fix this is to list this file
in EXTRA_DIST (either directly, or indirectly via a make variable).

(I suppose that these .c files are primary sources, not generated.)

You don't have to list these .c files in the *_DEPENDENCIES variable.
The dependency is discovered automatically during the first build,
so if a developer then modifies the file, make knows the object file
has to be rebuilt.

Please check how the regex module is distributed with gawk or GNU sed
(sed-4.1.4/lib), to see an example.

HTH,
        Stepan Kasal